This blog was written by a real human being. No textual or photographic content created by the author of this blog was generated by AI. Though a website or search engine used during research (or quoted text/externally provided photos) may be utilizing AI, a sincere attempt is made here to reference human verifiable content to help ensure accuracy. No AI chatbots or tools were directly used in research, unless specifically noted as an example of their use.


Saturday, February 27, 2021

Roots

"...we are you, and you are us..." ~ Alex Haley, Roots

I have been progressively watching the 1977 mini-series Roots during the month of February - and finished the series yesterday.  I DVR'd it when I happened to stumble across it.  I've had more than one person tell me that it is so visceral and heartbreaking, they never felt they could watch it again, even many years later.  

I felt called to watch.  I'm quite certain this is the third time, though the second was also quite long ago.

As for the first, I was in Junior High, and that week didn't only leave a lasting impression on me, but it was a profound nation-wide phenomenon in early 1977.  Every night, an unprecedented audience watched, young and old, night after night, for 8 nights.  And I never forgot it. 

The quote above in the series (actually from the book) was specifically related to the descendants of Kunta Kinte, but even without remembering it, as something similar appears at the end of the 8-night series, I felt it at the beginning.  The unwaivering strength and dignity and spirit of Kunta Kinte, who passed on what it actually felt like to be free, and the dream of freedom, and how to never, ever surrender what that is, is an inspiration to all of us.  We are him, and he is us.  Inseparable.



Flying Free Photo by Susan Larison Danz.

No comments:

Post a Comment