This blog was written by a real human being. No textual or photographic content created by the author of this blog was generated by AI. Though a website or search engine used during research (or quoted text/externally provided photos) may be utilizing AI, a sincere attempt is made here to reference human verifiable content to help ensure accuracy. No AI chatbots or tools were directly used in research, unless specifically noted as an example of their use.


Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Living in the 70's, Again

"There is nothing permanent, except change." ~ Heraclitus

I was watching a movie earlier from 1988 in which a person is looking for some simple information, walks into a government office, and is told it will be sent to him in a month.  On the internet, you could find it in about a minute.  But we didn't have the internet back then.  In some ways, 1988 feels like yesterday.  But when it comes to technology, it feels like forever.  

I wasn't really intending to talk about the internet tonight.  I was thinking about microwave ovens - and when they first arrived - it was a little bit before 1988, I suppose - I know I didn't have one in my college apartment in the early to mid 80's.  I've used them at times in my life, when in a hurry,  but then that changed.  I've mentioned I'm a bit of a neo-Luddite, and here is another way I suppose it is true.  

I almost never use the microwave oven anymore.  Occasionally for popcorn (I'd use Jiffy Pop on the stove if they still sold it or a good old-fashioned popcorn popper pan with a crank - it tastes much, much better - why don't they sell Jiffy Pop anymore?  And as we speak, I looked it up on the internet, and they DO still sell it - it took less than a minute to find out).  I might melt butter in the microwave or I might use a pan.  And that about sums up my current microwave oven usage. 

You see, I actually DO remember that Jiffy Pop popcorn is better, and pretty much everything else.  And just about every kind of leftover imaginable tastes better if you heat it in the oven.  You just need to be patient - the same is true with defrosting.  When it comes to making meals, I'm still living in the 70's.  And that's perfectly fine with me. 

 

 

Ripples photo by Susan Larison Danz. 

No comments:

Post a Comment