This blog was written by a real human being. No textual or photographic content created by the author of this blog was generated by AI. Though a website or search engine used during research (or quoted text/externally provided photos) may be utilizing AI, a sincere attempt is made here to reference human verifiable content to help ensure accuracy. No AI chatbots or tools were directly used in research, unless specifically noted as an example of their use.


Sunday, April 28, 2013

Hair!

"Gimme a head with hair
Long beautiful hair" ~ Hair musical

My journey with my hair has been a love/hate relationship.  I recall loving my curls in childhood, but at some point, around the time when it got frizzy enough to wince when my mother struggled with the comb, I began to doubt.  

As my teens progressed, my feelings definitely evolved to Hate.  I also had no idea how to style it.  Naturally curly hair wasn't "in" back then, so I would spend what seemed like forever every morning blowing my hair as straight as I could get it, even though I kept it quite short.  Thankfully nobody showed me the trick of ironing my hair or I would have probably grown it out, then damaged it beyond repair.  Like all teen girls in the late 70's, I was obsessed with getting my hair to "feather back," an impossible feat with all but the straightest of hair.

In college, I discovered hot rollers, which actually worked great with my hair, perfect for the 80's.  The only problem was it took at least an hour and a half every morning to get ready!  I used them for many years. 

At some point, not sure exactly when, I figured out if I just let my hair dry, it would curl almost perfectly all by itself.

All those years I struggled.  And the answer was simply to Let It Be.

I'm growing my hair now.  It's a project of mine I enjoy.  I have finally realized I Love it.  Better late than never...

My hair today, a bit wilder than usual after a hairdresser had her way with it.  I'll tell my Pre-Raphaelite story another day...




No comments:

Post a Comment